Access to Archival Records
A number of print and online reference tools exist to assist researchers in locating materials in the University Archives. Please note that no one source completely describes our holdings and these resources are usually used in conjunction with assistance from the Special Collections Department staff. The Archives collections are specific to the University only. For information relating to non-university related subjects such as Nevada and the Great Basin, the Nevada Women's Archives, and Great Basin Indians, please see the Library's Special Collections Department. See the Overview of Archival Records for a description of the types of records found in the Archives. If you are unable to locate materials or have any other questions regarding the holdings of the Archives, please contact the University Archivist.
- Online library catalog of the University of Nevada, Reno's
Example of a catalog record. Some catalog records
will also link to a more detailed description of the contents of the collection, a collection guide, if one
For more search options, try an Advanced Search of the Library catalog. To limit results to the Archives, select UNR Archives in the location dropdown box.
The library's online catalog is the primary access point for the holdings of the University Archives. The
majority of university records in the Archives are arranged by the creating department, individual, or activity
and held together as large groups of records or collections. Record collections have an assigned AC (Archives
Collection) or other call number for identification and retrieval. Bibliographic records exist for most
processed collections in the archives and include a general description of contents, span dates, size, and a
brief description of the creator or creating office of the records.
- Example of a catalog record. Some catalog records will also link to a more detailed description of the contents of the collection, a collection guide, if one is available.
- Collection guides
- The material in each collection is also accessed through collection guides, which provide more detailed information about its contents than the catalog record. Example of a collection guide While most collections in the archives have a collection guide, only the following guides are currently available online. For other collections, please contact the archives.
- Photograph database
- Search descriptions of university images in the Archives photo collection.
- Biographical files
- University faculty, administrators, alumni, and benefactors with biographical data on file in the Archives