A Guide to the Records of the
Best and Belcher Mining Company
Collection No. NC82

Scope and Content

The Best and Belcher Mine, 540' long and part of the Middle Mines of the Comstock Lode, was staked in 1859. It was situated between the Gould and Curry and Consolidated Virginia mines, and work on the claim began in 1860 but halted in 1863 because of lack of profitable ore, a general depression in the area, and reluctance of stockholders to pay assessments. Work resumed in 1872 and was carried out through the Gould & Curry or Bonner shafts. In 1895 the company became part of the Brunswick Exploration Company; in 1922 it was taken over by Comstock Merger Mines. The collection include letters, 1878-1880, a time book for 1907 (which also includes Hale and Norcross Mining company times for 1916); and a title abstract of 1863.

The collection has been organized into three series:

  1. Letters, 1878-1880.
  2. Time book, 1907; 1916.
  3. Abstract of title, 1863.

Best and Belcher Mining Co.

82/1 Letters (may 26, 1878-1880)
82/2 Time book.  (B & B Times 1907)
  (Hale and Norcross Times, 1916)
Abstract of title to the Best and Belcher Company, July 1863.
82/3 List of officers, 1890; affidavit of work, 1877.