Online Exhibits are typically built to highlight an area of our collection, either to commemorate an event, or merely as an adjunct to our physical materials.
University of Nevada, Reno
- Nevada University History
- A collaboration betwen the Special Collections and University Archives and the Public History program. This exhibit presents articles written primarily by students on the topics of the campus, colleges & departments, student life, and events, with accompanying images largely found in the University Libraries collections.
- University History Timeline
- Offered here is a history of the University of Nevada, a land-grant institution, presented through images of students and campus.
- Johnson Jeffries Fight: A Centennial Exhibit
- In conjunction with the Nevada Historical Society, Special Collections designed this online narrative of the historic, landmark boxing match between Jack Johnson and Jim Jeffries in 1910.
- Nevada in Maps
- Originally developed to electronically preserve fragile, historic maps of Nevada, the Nevada in Maps exhibit now contains a number of collections, including Sanborn Maps of Nevada and historic geologic and mining maps.
- Sheepherders of Northern Nevada
- Explores the origins and effects of the sheep industry in Northern Nevada, as well as the sheepherding lifestyle, including details about the Basque people who came to practice this trade.
- The Art of Gaming +
- The Special Collections department at the University Libraries invites you to an exhibit showcasing over 80 pieces of imaginative and whimsical interpretations of gambling and casino life, along with conceptual and advertising art of the industry. The show centers around sculptures that were commissioned by the Stremmel Gallery for Harrah’s in 1995. It also features the artistry of slot machines, casino shows, showgirls, neon signs, historical photos and more.
- The Basque Hotel
- Designed to augment the Northern Nevada Reads program, this exhibit features Special Collections materials related to Robert Laxalt's writing process and his novel The Basque Hotel.
- Bohemians in Northern Nevada
- Built to accompany a physical exhibit of Special Collections materials (on display in Summer 2011), this online exhibit contains biographical information on members of Northern Nevada's prominent mid-1900s community of Bohemian artists, as well as images of their work.
- Far Out! The University Art Scene, 1960–1975
- Built to accompany a physical exhibit of Special Collections materials (on display in Summer 2012), this online exhibit continues our retrospective of local art history first explored in the "Bohemians" exhibit a year earlier. It picks up the story from the perspective of the University art department as it experienced a period of dramatic expansion during the counter-culture heyday—in terms of facilities, faculty and student enrollment.
- Nevada Writers Hall of Fame
- Honors Nevada's finest writers. Most members have a write-up summarizing their literary career, followed by a list of published works, as well as published criticism and biographical sources.
- Will James and the West: Life and Art of a "Lone Cowboy"
- Will James was a famous cowboy, cattle rustler, and an author and artist of the American West. This exhibit tells his story from his early years, through his prison sentence, to his fame.